AND ACCOLADES FROM
WRITERS AND PUBLISHERS
More Accolades for 2017
R. Brown, Author, Native
American Action Stories: "As
the author of Native American Action Stories, I could not have
written a better review of what I intended the book to convey. You
understood the nuances of this work from the unusual formats (plays
and narratives in not special order throughout the chapters) and the
lack of bows-and-arrow clashes on every other page. But most of
all....for your understanding the mindset and feelings of a
15-year-old boy living in those times. Good Job!”
Olivia Kate Cerrone, Author, The Hunger Saint: "I recently received Diane Donovan's review of The Hunger Saint (Bordighera Press, 2017), my historical novella about the child laborers of Sicily, and I wanted to express my deepest gratitude regarding Ms. Donovan's fine work. I really appreciate the smart, thorough and honest insight that she provided. I deeply appreciate how easy Ms. Donovan made this process and I feel very lucky to have her generous insight regarding her review of my work.”
Melissa Mastro, Author, The Waterfall Traveler: "These were the things I think Diane did really well:
1. She was very prompt to send me her review, and delivered it when she said she would. She is clearly a very organized and dependable reviewer.
2. She included excerpts from the book, which helped me understand what types of passages a reader may find gripping. This will be extremely helpful during my marketing initiatives.
3. The review was incredibly well written with some great phrases I can add to the back of my book, sell sheet, and editor review sections on online retailer websites and my own.
4. She was very informative about the process, the archiving of the review, and the issue it would appear in."
Aaron-Michael Hall/Newland Moon, Author, Rites of Heirdron: "Diane Donovan is extremely courteous and professional. She kept me informed regarding every aspect of the review process and produced an exemplary written review ahead of schedule. It was a pleasure to have her reading and reviewing my novel.”
Richard Barager, Author, The Atheist and the Parrotfish: "Diane Donovan's review of my novel was thoughtful and thorough. She clearly did not simply go through the motions, as some volume reviewers are inclined to do, but rather took her task seriously and put real effort into the review process. Book reviewers play a huge role as curators of our work and Diane should be commended for her willingness to serve.”
Susan Fleet, Author, Natalie's Dilemma: "Just a quick note to tell you what a fine job Diane Donovan did with her review of Natalie's Dilemma. She has reviewed other books of mine, but Natalie's Dilemma is a crime thriller with a particularly complex plot and two complex characters. However she captured my intent perfectly."
Rolynda Tassan, Author, Lucy Finds a Home: "I recently had my book, Lucy Finds a Home, reviewed by Diane Donovan, and I wanted to let you know what a great experience I had from the very beginning. When I sent her emails, she was very prompt letting me know she had received them and confirming that she had received any attachments that I may have had. She worked with me, in a very professional friendly manner, when I had to delay sending my manuscript, due to some illustration changes. Her review was very thorough and completed in the time frame she promised.
This is the first book in the Lucy's Tale series and I am looking forward to working with Diane in the future."
Susan Wilcox, Author, Bullies, Coasters, Hermits & Heroes: "Three books that I have written were assigned to Diane Donovan for review. I'm writing to let you know how pleased I am with her work. She was prompt, efficient, and helpful. She went out of her way to answer questions and to make sure I understood the review process. With respect to her work, I am sure you are aware of her keen ability to highlight aspects of books that many might overlook. Her reviews are fair in that she both calls attention to items needing correction and that she outlines, in convincing detail, why a book makes for good reading. As for her writing style, it is impeccable. I'm grateful that I had the opportunity to have my work reviewed by Diane Donovan.”
More Accolades for 2016
Betta Ferrendelli, Author of the Award-Winning Samantha Church mystery series: "I just wanted to take a minute to let you know that I have worked with Diane Donovan for nearly the last five years, as she has read and reviewed all of my releases. She has read all three books in my mystery series featuring reporter Samantha Church and the two books I have in the contemporary fiction genre, include my newest release, Last Things, which she just read and reviewed. I have always been so pleased with her work. I feel as though she really does understand what my books are about and her reviews truly reflect that (and she reads and reviews quickly, which is also a plus!). I have always been most appreciative of her review for Revenge is Sweet, the second book in the Samantha Church mystery series. Some readers have given me poor reviews on that book because they don't like some of the decision my main character has/had to be make. What I liked most about Diane's review of that book is that she understood that there are often many times we make decisions/choices simply because we have to and sometimes they aren't always the best."
Loralee Evans, Author, Felicity and the Fire Stoppers: "I wanted to let you know how pleased I am with Ms. Donovan's work. She has reviewed my last two books, and has done a great job with each one. I appreciate that she is thorough in her review without giving away spoilers. She has been very professional in our correspondences, and has always gotten the reviews back to me in a timely manner. It has been a pleasure having her review my work.”
Mia Kerick, Author, In a Gilded Cage: "I am very happy with Diane Donovan’s reviews of my books. Her reviews are consistently honest and detailed, and she always finds the deeper meaning in my books, and presents it in a timely fashion. Her language is expressive, and she provides researched background information on the themes that I write about to enhance the meaning of her words. I have come back to Diane time and again for reviews, and I will return to request a review for my next book… and the one after that.”
Christine Z. Mason, Author, Weighing the Truth: "Diane Donovan did a superb job reviewing my legal thriller, Weighing the Truth. As a former death penalty attorney, I can say without reservation that Diane's review accurately reflects the legal complexities of capital litigation, while at the same time discussing the themes and deeper personal issues of the characters. And she does all of this without giving away too much of the plot, which isn't easy to do.”
Michael Cuddehe, Author, The Politics of Unity: "it has been a pleasure working with Ms Donovan. She has been responsive and professional, stating clearly what was expected of me, and delivering exactly what was promised in a timely manner. How refreshing! I am really happy with the review, which was much better than I had hoped for. The Politics of Unity deals with a complex array of issues, and she took the time to really absorb it, and produce a well written review that reflects the spirit as well as the substance of the book."
Vincent Panettiere, Author, These Thy Gifts: "It is lovely to receive a favorable review, but so much more satisfying
to read that the reviewer has taken the time to get into the meat of the story, to see and to explain in terms I could not. Without question it was the most incisive review the book has received. For me, whether the reader/reviewer "likes" or "doesn't like" my book matters less than if they find more than just beginning, middle and end of the story. Diane, better than anyone else got thru the story to find the subtext and expressed it better than I ever could.”
Carla D. Bass, Author, Write to Influence: "Write to Influence!, a specialized book on the art of writing powerfully, is difficult to review -- but Diane Donovan nailed it! This task required an inherent understanding of the written word and how it can – or cannot – be effectively applied. Diane displayed that critical insight. She immediately grasped the shortfalls inherent in contemporary business writing, those same shortfalls that also impede talented individuals from successfully competing for selective opportunities such as scholarships or job vacancies. She succinctly summarized the essence of the writing tools and strategies the book conveys by which to make each word count and every second of the reader’s time play to the writer’s advantage .She found – and understood – the heart of the book. I am so very grateful that Write to Influence! found its way into Diane’s hands.”
Lonnie Ostrow, Author, Poet of the Wrong Generation: "Diane provided a timely and thoughtful review of the book which I will be most proud to circulate to my reader base upon it's posting. Ms. Donovan clearly took the time to read and digest the novel, recognizing the nuances of the characters and identifying many of the key moments from the storyline. I am most appreciative.”
Tomasz Chrusciel, Author, Fast Tracy to Glory: "Diane is an outstanding reviewer, and I consider myself a very happy man because my novel was sent just to the right person. The review is accurate and thorough. Diane doesn’t repeat the comments the book gathered from other editorial sites; it’s so important to me that she goes much further into the essence of the story. She not only sees action and adventure aspects of my novel but beautifully and honestly emphasises its complexity and attention to detail – the very elements in my writing I’m very and humbly proud of.”
Javier Perez, Page-Turner Publicity: "Diane Donovan consistently writes concise, fair, and thoughtful reviews for our clients. She’s also extremely organized and always gets things to us on time. She’s truly a professional.”
Leeza Carlone Steindorf, Author, Connected Parent, Empowered Child: "Just this week, Diane Donovan produced a review of my work Connected Parent, Empowered Child: Five Keys to Raising Happy, Confident, Responsible Kids. I’ve read hundreds of reviews in my line of work and they are not all worth their weight. This review, of my own work even, I found to be clear, fair, informative and comprehensive. Ms. Donovan truly grasped the expansiveness of the subject matter and nailed the core of the book at the application of lessons wed to consistent modeling.”. ”
Terri A. DeMitchell, Author, Chelsea Creek to Bunker Hill: Spring 1775: "Diane’s review was very thoughtful and thorough and she was extremely professional and responsive during the process. So, when I needed some assistance with my soon to be published middle school mystery, Faking It, I didn't hesitate to contact her regarding her literary services. She provided suggestions to strengthen the story, copy editing and wrote a review. Once again, she exceeded my expectations regarding quality of services and all work was completed in a very reasonable time frame and at a very reasonable fee. I will definitely use her services again and will recommend her to others.”
Flo Selfman, PR
Consultant, WordsaLaMode.: "
Alex Siegel, Author, First Circle Club, et.al.: "I just wanted to let you know how great a job Diane is doing as a reviewer. I've published 22 novels, and she has reviewed them all. Her work is always on-time and professional. She doesn't have a personal agenda like so many other reviewers. She actually reads the books instead of just the previews. It's been a pleasure working with her for the last several years. ”
Adam Collins, Author, Obsidian/The Bloodthorn Series.: "Diane is a wonderful and generous reviewer and a complete professional. Asking her to review my book was the best decision ever!”
Saurabh Kikani, Chief Creative Officer, Super Amazing Princess Heroes: "My team and I were assigned Diane Donovan to review our upcoming children's book "The Gift of Gift: A Super Amazing Princess Heroes Adventure". Diane's review was well-written and truly appreciated (always nice to get a good review!).
Additionally, she was extremely professional, timely, and warm through every step of the review process. We appreciated it to no end! We look forward to working with Diane again.”
Tom Holt, Author, Oblique: "I just received Diane Donovan’s review of “Oblique.” She absolutely nailed it — the theme, the variations on theme, the characters, and the underlying (oblique :-) intent of the book. I am especially appreciative and encouraged because hers was an independent review without prior knowledge; that she understood the book, as expressed in her review, is wonderful. She and I corresponded several times via email, and she was a delight: helpful and encouraging.”
Hunter Murphy, Author, The Curse of the Bridal Chamber: "I wanted to let you know how wonderful Diane Donovan did with my book review! Not only because she gave it a positive review but she REALLY read the book, unlike some of the other reviewers who have picked up my book. She is a really conscientious reader. I could not have asked for better.”
Judy Penz Sheluk, Author, Skeletons in the Attic.: "Too often in this world we only email or call to complain. I try to make it a practice to praise good work and effort, in this case, the review by Diane Donovan of my mystery, Skeletons in the Attic. From the very beginning, Diane was professional and easy to work with, and her review of my book far exceeded my expectations. I would happily hire Diane again, and would be more than willing to provide a reference, if requested.”
Michael Benzehabe, Author, Unassimilated: "Well, that was painless. Diane Donovan was fast, intelligent, and helpful. What more could I ask for?”
Ed Cobleigh, Author, The Pilot.: "Ms Diane Donovan recently wrote a review of my novel, The Pilot: Fighter Planes and Paris, and did a wonderful job. She was a delight to work with, hit the deadline on time, and communicated well. Most importantly, she took the time to read the book carefully and comment intelligently on it. The plot of the book is somewhat layered and complex, yet she was able to capture this in her review. Unlike other reviewers of other books, she did not fall into the trap of merely recanting the narrative, but offered insight and depth. Well done, Diane.”
Ginny Shaddock, Author, My Million Dollar Donkey: "Just wanted to extend my thanks and appreciation for the review written by Diane Donovan and sent to me today. She truly captured the essence of my book's message, and the combination of her intellectual and emotional response to my book made me feel she read it with care and thought, and reviewed it in a professional, well trained way.”
Diane Dettmann, Author, Courageous Footsteps and Yasu's Quest: "I'm so glad I connected with Diane Donovan and she agreed to review both of my books: Courageous Footsteps:A WWII Novel and the sequel, Yasu's Quest a Tale of Triumph. Diane did a fantastic job on the reviews. Her specific detail and insights into the stories created an engaging lens into the the character's lives, the WWII setting of the books and clearly revealed the messages of the books. Her work was professionally done, she was efficient and her feedback very helpful. Diane was a pleasure to work with!”
Shawn Inmon, Author, The Unusual Second Life of Thomas Weaver: "I want to tell you what a pleasure it was to work with Diane. She impressed me immediately by responding quickly and professionally to my initial email, then did a wonderful job of telling me what would happen and when. I actually thought her initial schedule was a bit optimistic, but she hit it bang on. The review itself was clever, well thought out, and insightful. I just wanted you to know what a pleasure she was to work with and what an asset she is.”
Taylor Ytuarte, Book Publicity Services: "I just wanted to drop you a note and let you know what a pleasure it has been to work with Diane. She has been consistently prompt, eloquent, and professional. We at Book Publicity Services as well as our clients have thoroughly enjoyed our experiences thus far in working with Diane. ”
James Marshall Smith, Author, Silent Source: "I just wanted to pass on to you how delightful it was to work with Diane Donovan on my novel that I submitted to her for review. She was quick to turn it around, efficient and clear in her email with me, and is an exceptionally talented reviewer and writer.”
Tyson Cornell, Rare Bird | Archer: "I hope I mentioned this before, but you're the first reviewer that the author says "gets it." ”
Edward Galluzzi, Author, Mirror, Mirror at 1600 D.C: "I want to let you know of my positive, professional experience in working with Diane Donovan, Editor California Bookwatch, who reviewed my book, Mirror, Mirror at 1600 D.C. She was clear about the steps in the review and the information she required from me. Ms. Donovan completed the stages of the review in a timely manner and provided me the links to her review to inform others about my book. It was a pleasant experience working with Ms. Donovan.”
James Arthur, Publications Director, New Research LLC for Tutankhamun's Curse SOLVED.: "We have just received Diane Donovan's draft review of our latest book, "Tutankhamun's Curse SOLVED" and we are well-satisfied with the quality of her work and with the process of working with her. We found her to be very professional and competent and would be happy to have her review future releases.”
Tyson Cornell, publicist, Rare Bird/Archer for Bitter is the Wind: "Diane's review and feedback was spot-on. The publisher, Scott Davis from Cune Press, as well as the author, were very thrilled and impressed by Diane's take on the book."
Lawrence J. Epstein, Author, The Gallery of Missing Husbands: "Thank you, thank you (and add a few more thank yous) for such a kind, perceptive, and well-written review. I really appreciate it!”
StellaMarie Alden, Author, How to Seduce a Queen: "It is a wonderful review. I wouldn't change a thing! Truly, it is a joy when people, 'get me.'For isn't that all that artists want? To be understood? Thank you so much, on so many levels.”
Jendi Reiter, Author, Two Natures: "Thanks for connecting me with Diane Donovan for my forthcoming novel, Two Natures. It was a pleasure to work with her. She grasped the essential goals of my book and wrote beautifully about them. Diane was also great about letting me know the time-frame for the review, and giving me the chance to proofread before it went live. I've been using her review in my marketing copy.”
William Graham, Author, Martian Darkness: "This is a quick note to let you know that as an author how much I appreciate the thoroughness and professionalism of Diane Donovan. She has reviewed several of my books during the past year and I have been impressed by her insightful writing. In other words, she gets the themes and point of the work and conveys it clearly in her reviews. She clearly loves a good story and I am glad that she has read and commented on my work..”
LA Jamison, Author, Self-Publishing Safari: "It was pleasure working with Diane Donovan. She helped me with my book "Self-Publishing Safari: Navigating the Publishing Jungle for Authors". She wrote a good review, very timely and her communication with me was excellent."
Ram Muthiah, Author, Tell My Dad: "I want to let you know that I am very pleased with the review. The process is well defined and my reviewer (Diane Donovan) is systematic, honest and kept me updated in every step of the way. I thank you for the services you provide for authors.”
John Jaegers, Author, Astrologer's Apprentice: "I am very pleased with Diane's timeliness and professionalism. In addition, I feel that her review of Astrologer's Apprentice in the June issue is thoughtful and engaging, accurately capturing the essence of my story. "
DB Michaels, Author, Song of the Blackbird: "Diane Donovan is a fantastic reviewer and so pleasant to work with. Not only is she very readily available by email, she read my book very promptly and finished the review for me early, with weeks to spare. She was the first professional reviewer I worked with and I'm very impressed with her work. Her review was honest and very well-thought out and inspiring. It gave me a huge boost of confidence for my book and I’ve used her quote in a lot of my sales promotions as well as on the back cover of my print book.”
Deborah Hawkins, Author, Dark Moon: "I wanted to compliment Diane Donovan on her very insightful and professional review of my book, Dark Moon, A Legal Thriller. The review was published today. Ms. Donovan can be relied on to produce reviews as promised and on time. Moreover, she does much more than merely summarize the plot of a novel. She always offers specific examples of what she finds compelling in plot, theme, and characters. I very much enjoy working with her and I am looking forward to her review of my next book, The Death of Distant Stars "
Chand Svare Ghei, Author, Prasvapa: "I am extremely pleased with the book services which Lady Diane Donovan has provided me. Only the best quality service is good enough for her."
E.J. Chadwell, Author, How the Mighty Fall: "Diane Donovan is the consummate professional, who takes her job as a reviewer seriously. She expertly tells the reader what the story is about without revealing any spoilers or plot twists. Diane focused on her thoughts and feelings about how the story was told. Diane presented my story fairly, and she made the case why the book is good. She gave the reader good service by providing some basic information about the book, and offered the reader a sense of the style, tone, and essence of the book, without giving anything away."
Pamela Palmer, Publisher, Smart Heart Publishing (for Carmen Fox's Bound): "Diane Donovan's use of quotes in the review, plus her careful choice of words, give a balanced view, which is exactly what we hoped for from an editorial review. Both my author and I were thrilled with the review and with Ms Donovan's professionalism."
Kim Siegel, SPBRA: "It was a pleasure to work with Diane Donovan on her review of “The Devil Knows” by Janet Holt-Johnstone. She was extremely professional and gave a thorough and fair review of Janet’s book. Janet was thrilled to receive her review and is very eager to use it as a resource in getting the word out about “The Devil Knows.” This is a wonderful service and we are looking forward to using it again."
Susan DuBosque, Author, Good Morning Diego Garcia: "I wept tears of joy while reading youramazing review of my book. I can’t imagine changing a single word. It’s a beautiful, from the heart, review! Thank you so much for your time and energetic review!”
Kelly Pellatt, Author, Rise of the Good Wolf: "Diane Donovan is a gift to all those who seek a reviewer who not only reads ones work thoroughly but internalizes it, feels its essence then presents this experience back to you. I feel I have a review packed with integrity that piques the curiosity of the potential reader.”
Michael Pronko, Author, Motions and Moments: "Big thanks for this! It's perfect. I loved Diane's review and really appreciate the great work you do.
Judy Alter, Author, The Gilded Cage: "I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate Diane Donovan’s book reviews and how pleased I am to be working with her. Her reviews of my work so far have been favorable, which I assume is honest, and she is spot on in her interpretations, gives me lots of quotable lines. A great advantage in this day when indie and ebooks have a hard time getting notice.
M.L. Spencer, Author, Darkstorm: I am writing to let you know how pleased I am with Diane Donovan’s recent review of my novel, Darkstorm. Not only was Diane’s review very favorable, but it was also extremely elegant and delightfully quotable. Diane actually took the time to give Darkstorm a good, hard read. Unlike some reviewers, she noticed the depth that was there in the social and moral commentary beneath the plot and did not just pigeonhole the novel based upon genre stereotypes. Diane was also very personable and professional in all email correspondence. I am both thrilled and humbled by Diane’s review.
Jeremy Bates, Author, Island of the Dolls: Diane Donovan has reviewed several of my books, and she has been a terrific reviewer. She has a great ability to get a book down to a few paragraphs. The reviews sum up the books better than I can - all the while managing to touch on everything from theme to characterization etc wonderfully.
Rumer Haven, Author, What the Clocks Know: Diane Donovan recently reviewed my latest book, What the Clocks Know. I am over the moon with Diane's feedback and very proud to share it. Her insights are both intelligent and beautifully expressed, and she's been wonderful to correspond with as well. I'm so delighted that my novel was assigned to a reviewer with such an affinity for this genre, and I just want to thank you, Diane. I will certainly query again in future.
T.J. Roberts, Author, Fairalon: "I was really lucky to get a review from Diane Donovan.I'm new to this, and there are a million review sites all willing to take a fee, but not necessarily read the book. I don't mind paying for the job, it takes time to read a novel so it's completely fair. Diane did a great job. It didn't hurt that she liked the book, of course, but the big thing was that you could tell she read it and got it. Many thanks from a newbie author. I will recommend your service highly to anyone who asks."
Marjan Sierhuis, Author, Pardon Me While I Close the Door: "The process was a new experience for me, and I wasn't sure what to expect. But Diane informed me of the steps involved. And kept the lines of communication open at all times. I felt she "understood me", what I was trying to say, and why I wrote the book. I mentioned Diane on twitter, since I now have a few followers. And hope she doesn't mind. Thanks once again."
Jules Mitchell Bailey, Author, Champion Bubbler: "When Diane Donovan was referred to me, I had no idea what to expect. With this being my first published novel, I am new to the publishing industry and so was curious as to what her review would entail. Also since my novel, Champion Bubbler, is based in the Caribbean and is infused with its culture and language, I questioned whether she would even understand what it entails. I must say that I am truly astonished at how well she summarized my novel and even more amazed at some of the key points she pulled out. Working with Diane has been a great experience and I look forward to her reviewing many more of my novels!"
J.G. Maggio, Author, The (First) 4 Maxims of Social Conservatism: "I wanted to compliment the job that Diane Donovan did in reviewing a book I had written along with others, titled, "The (First) 4 Maxims of Social Conservatism." Ms. Donovan's review appeared in the February edition. In my opinion the review was very well written and organized. It was fair, and did an excellent job of capturing the essence of what we tried to communicate in the book. I have started to spread the word to others. Thanks."
Len Lamensdorf, Author, The Murdered Messiah series: "After decades of involvement with a project, I can't help wondering--will readers "get it?" Your splendid reviews demonstrate beautifully that you do. Not only that -- you are able to convey the meaning, the sense of awe I feel now more than ever that I have something(s) valuable to share with readers on a subject that everyone believes they know and on which it would be difficult if not impossible to find someone who doesn't think they totally understand this incredible person. Beyond sectarionism, beyond cult, beyond passion, there is a transcendent quality to the very existence of Jesus of Nazareth. I say that in every sense--past, present and future, for if there is anyone who remains vibrantly alive after thousands of years, and who still has a message that resonates through the corridors of life now and in the future, it is Jesus. You have helped me convey this reality, and for that I will be forever grateful." And, separately: "…thank you for recommending Diane Donovan as a potential reviewer for my Murdered Messiah series. She provided me with 5 absolutely brilliant, evocative and compelling reviews. Her insights were spot on and the words she used to express her thoughts were absolutely lovely. When writing a long, complex, and possibly controversial series such as this, one wonders if one's work will be understood, let alone appreciated. Ms. Donovan gets 5 stars on every subject, every issue. She has also been prompt, responsive and accurate in all of her communications. I could not possibly have asked for more."
Jennifer Morse, Author, Fairy Godmothers of the Four Directions: "What a wonderful review. Fairy Godmothers of the Four Directions is a compilation of a lifetime of study rolled into adventure and fun. Thank you for seeing in the book the layers of perception I hoped would emerge."
Rob Couteau, Author, More Collected Couteau: "Your review was amazing and, once again, I cannot thank you enough. The piece is so filled with keen insights and perceptions about the subject matter and provides such a warm, heartfelt introduction for readers. Even the quotes you chose provide essential keys for understanding the book. I’m just so deeply grateful! Publishers Weekly BookLife just reviewed it and, although it was a positive piece, it came nowhere near your depth of comprehension and passion, or your delightful prose style. I will include an excerpt with your name on the back cover of the next edition."
Jennifer Wherrett, Author, Lady of the Lake: "Diane Donovan reviewed "Lady of the Lake" (my book) for me, and she did an outstanding job. I was more than happy with it. In fact, I would recommend her to anyone wanting their book reviewed."
Anna Castle, Author, The Widow's Guild: "Thanks for the helpful service! I just wanted to let you know how helpful Diane Donovan has been in my efforts to build a reputation for my books. She’s always on schedule, which is aid to planning, and writes a long, considered review. Book reviewing has always been a useful service. It has become an essential one in the new glorious age of open publishing. Diane is a champion of books. Thanks for everything."
Sepember 2015 Issue
W. Schulz, author, A Book About a Film : “I
just wanted to give Diane Donovan a kudos for her review. I
was quite pleased with her honesty and feedback.”
- Margie Mack, Author, My Ship Has Sails: "My name is Margie Mack and I have had the extreme pleasure of working with Diane Donovan not once but twice and it has been a wonderful experience! Being a writer, or trying to be, any help that I can find is like wining the lottery or discovering a treasure. Self publishing a book is such uncharted waters that once you are finished you just sit back and wait for the applause to begin, but, that doesn't happen in the real world. So after finding Diane and the wonderful services that were offered I jumped on the opportunity to have her review my boo, "Through The Woods." At the same time I had Kaiser do a review and when I received that review it just about broke my heart. And what was worse was that I paid a lot of money to be insulted. But then came the review from Diane and it made it all go away. I decided to invest my money in the marketing program that Diane offered to me and another service for teaching me how to get the audience that I need in order to be a successful author! I am so happy that Diane and her programs are for me to use! I am spreading the word to everyone in my writing club as well as family and friends. Thank you for giving me the confidence to move forward in my quest to be a successful writer. “
Steven McCarthy, Author, Physical Literacy: : "Your review service is vital for publishers and authors and everyone needs to know. For me I was able to correct inconsistancies in the editing stage simply from your honest review...Thank you Diane Donovan again for your literary services"
Jeri Parker, Author of Unmoored: ”You don’t miss anything. Any author would be not just lucky but completely blessed to have you review her book. You have such a sensitivity and you found a wonderful way to present this: illustrating your point with a quote from the book. It was one of the profound moments of my life to read your review, to think someone was out there who didn’t miss anything.”
Paul Meyer, author of I Was a Champion Then:
“Just wanted to drop you a line to tell you how great Diane Donovan
was. She reviewed my book, I Was A Champion Then,
promptly and then delivered a well-worded review. Thanks for
providing the service with outstanding reviewers like her.
Del Vicchio, author of BetterNot!
And the Tale of Bratsville - Teaching Morals and Manners:
"I am very pleased with Diane Donovan's review of my book, but
more importantly, with her helpful advice, amazing responsiveness,
and endless professionalism. She cares about writers and their
works, and it shows."
- Katy Pye, author of Elizabeth’s Landing: “Ms. Donovan’s kind review of Elizabeth’s Landing was the beginning of our association. I was delighted she understood the niche it attempts to fill. I went on to engage her “Posting Report” service. She was prompt, thorough, and available to graciously and clearly answer questions at every step. What she said she would do, she did on time, and went beyond. In the future, were I to need her other literary services, I wouldn’t hesitate to contact her.”
- Gene Del Vecchio, author of BetterNot! And the Tale of Bratsville - Teaching Morals and Manners: "Diane, thank you for your Book Review Report. It's extremely valuable. Though my marketing plan already included a considerable number of venues for reviews, your listings shed light on dozens more that I had no idea existed. The moment I reached out to your sources I received interest in review copies. I can't thank you enough."
Messenger, author of Humanity 2.0 and The Svengali in
My Bed: “I
just want to let you know how very pleased I am with Diane Donovan's
reviews. She has done two for me. She has a full grasp of all the
nuances, start to finish, and shows a true sensitivity to the topics. I
will be using her again.”
August 2015 Issue
July 2015 Issue
June 2015 Issue
1. Cori Tadrus, author of Flawed Happiness: “I was very pleased with my book review from Diane Donovan. She responded very quickly to all my questions, and has been quite helpful throughout the review process. Overall, it was a great experience working with her.”
2. Dianna Skowera, Happy Wanderer Press, regarding Drea Damar’s The Weeping Books of Blinney Lane: “Ms. Donovan's review read like a poetic synopsis that draws the reader into the story in a unique and intriguing way that we had not yet captured in our own synopsis. She accomplished this without divulging any spoilers, while also highlighting specific assets of the story and the author's writing style which bolstered the review in its own right. We are pleased to have found and utilized your services and were happy with the turn-around time..”
3. Yonason Goldson, author of Proverbial Beauty: “Ms. Donovan provided a thorough, accurate, and fair description of the book, completed her review ahead of schedule, and was most accommodating in every way..”
May 2015 Issue
1. Michael H. Davison, author of America’s Suicide: “I thank Diane Donovan for her very favorable review of my book. She clearly grasped the central issue.”
2.Claire Nana, author of LEVERAGE: The Science if Turning Setbacks into Springboards: “I recently obtained a review for my book LEVERAGE: The Science if Turning Setbacks into Springboards, from Diane Donovan and just wanted to express how pleased I am with her work. I will definitely use her again for my future work.”
April 2015 Issue
1. Bradette Michel , author of For Their Own Good: “I want to express my appreciation for the review provided by Diane Donovan of my upcoming debut novel, For Their Own Good. I was delighted that her thoughtful review showed her understanding of what I was trying to do in the book. Diane has been very professional and helpful as I work my way through the somewhat bewildering publishing process. Her thoughtful, timely responsiveness is greatly appreciated. I would not hesitate to recommend her.”
2. Meghan Reynolds, project manager at Mascot Books: “I just wanted to take a moment, reach out, and let you know that working with Diane Donovan has been a wonderful experience. She is an excellent reviewer and has made the process stress-free for us at Mascot Books.”
3. Terry Bazes, author, Plot Fiction Like the Masters: “Diane Donovan did a fine job of reviewing Plot Fiction like the Masters and has been a pleasure to work with.”
March 2015 Issue1. Joe Roper, author of The Hunter Awakens: “My experience with Diane Donovan has been spectacular. She is prompt, communicates well, and has kept me fully informed along the way. It seems so rare to find a well respected review organization that treats small press authors so well. Thank you Ms. Donovan for a great experience.”
2. Deborah Davitt, author of The Goddess Denied Diane Donovan provides swift, courteous service, always responding promptly, and with far more friendliness than I have received from other venues.
I appreciate the fact that the reviews are far more thorough than those provided by, say, Kirkus (I just got my Kirkus review on the first book of mine that Diane reviewed, and they spent half of their 500 words recapping my plot and quoting my work, rather than describing what they found effective about the book and what they enjoyed. :-/ ). I also appreciate that this review service is available for only a fraction of the price that Kirkus charges, and that there are no unexpected surcharges when the book proves to be "longer than average." Your turnaround time is also much better; three weeks, as opposed to three months.
Last, I'd like to note that Diane has a gift for prose herself, and sometimes verges on the poetic in her reviews. I loved one of her phrases about my recent offering: "Exotic spells . . . sorcerers and sisters, stolen lives and fragile forms, all interwoven. . . " makes my work sound so enticing, I almost want to go back and read it for a tenth time myself. “
3. Jack Roberts, author of Unsung Heroes: “I just wanted to take a moment to tell you what a pleasure it has been to have Diane review one of my non-fiction books for middle school readers.
She has been very professional and supportive (responding immediately to my emails), and her review was extremely thoughtful. (I got some terrific quotes that I can use in my marketing efforts.)
Diane currently has another one of my new non-fiction titles and I look forward to her review.”
4. Deborah Hawkins, author of Ride Your Heart 'Till It Breaks: “I wanted to express my appreciation for the fine work of Diane Donovan who recently reviewed my new novel, Ride Your Heart 'Til It Breaks, 2015 winner of the Beverly Hills Book Award for Women's Fiction. Ms.Donovan's reviews are thoughtful, insightful, and well-written. She gives a prospective reader not only an excellent summary of the plot but also the important themes of the book She does so much more than merely summarize plot as I have found the reviewers at Kirkus often do. Ms.Donovan provides a prospective reader with a concrete reason to read the book, which is a great marketing tool for an author.
Thank you for the opportunity to express my gratitude for Ms.Donovan's excellent skills as a reviewer, her communication with me, and her very professional adherence to her promised deadlines."
5. H.G. Wallace, Press Manager at Anu Esoteric Press: “Thank you for your time and your kindness. It is not easy being new in this field and trying to get exposure for a new author. We truly appreciate the time you took to request the book, read it, and give it such a wonderful review.
After dealing with some less than stellar individuals, it has been a treat to converse with you and have the opportunity to use your services. As a business run by women and seeking to promote authors and works that help bring understanding, equality, and peace, I am very glad the universe made a way for our businesses to connect.
All of us at Anu Esoteric Press certainly look forward to working with you in the future. "
6. Jean-Pierre Dorléac, Author of The Naked Truth: “I am so PLEASED with your review for The Naked Truth. You really captured the spirit I was trying to bring to the chronicle. I can't thank you enough. "
February 2015 Issue
1. Michelle B. Assor, author of Snaygill: Slippery Temptations: “I approached MBR in mid-December 2014 for a book review. I was referred to your Senior ebook reviewer, Diane Donovan. Diane immediately notified me of her reviewing services. She also included details of when the review would be ready and when she would plan to publish it in her newsletter. Her manner was extremely professional, yet warm and welcoming, not intimidating, especially for an inexperienced, debut indie writer like myself.
Diane emailed her review to me in mid-January 2015, the exact date she had specified. I was impressed with her punctuality.
As far as the review is concerned, I did not know what to expect. I had worked on my novel for seven years, through high's and low's in my life. I lost my husband last year. I recently overhauled the novel, editing it several times. My previous literary agent was unable to get it published. Yet I always believed in the book and I never gave up.
Diane's insight is quite incredible. I felt as if she had crept into my skin and had picked up on details that few reviewers would have perceived. Perhaps I can describe her as an octopus, with each tentacle reaching out to discover hidden treasures, nuances in the book, undetected by others. Her review was simply wonderful, genuine, and I believe the novel will succeed. I will have Diane Donovan to thank, hopefully one day, if it does succeed. She fulfilled my dream and made me realize that my hard work and perseverance had paid off. Following Diane's fine review, thereafter I received a great review from Kirkus.
Once my novel is available on Amazon, I will be contacting Diane again to move forward with the 'postits' on ten sites. I might even proceed with the marketing plans that MBR offers to authors.
I have the utmost respect for Diane Donovan. In a world where personal service does not exist, where people have no morality, honesty or loyalty, Diane stands out as a rare gem!!"
2. Warren Firschein, author of Out of Synch: “I thought I'd drop you a quick note to let you know how pleased I was with the recent review of my book, "Out of Synch," reviewed by Diane Donovan. The whole process went very smoothly, and Ms. Donovan was courteous, timely, and professional. Thanks so much for providing this service--I would definitely use it (and Ms. Donovan!) again in the future."
3. Barbara Ebel, author of Collateral Circulation: a Medical Mystery: “I'm just giving a shout-out for Diane Donovan's work. She recently reviewed my "Collateral Circulation: a Medical Mystery." Diane's review was thorough and insightful of this novel. It gives an author great pleasure when a reviewer 'gets' their book!"
4. Jeffrey B. Burton, author of The Lynchpin: “Diane has been extremely helpful every step of the way, and provided a very thoughtful review of the novel. I really appreciate all of her help.
5. Tanya Robertson, author of Tears of Innocence: “I am writing to let you now how pleased and grateful I am to Diane Donovan for:
1. Her thorough insightful review of my book 'Tears of Innocence'.
2. Posting the review to various sites via her Postits service.
3. Her professionalism.
4. Her availability i.e. readily dealing with any inquiry I may have had.
5. Her overall courtesy, help and understanding.
It has been a real pleasure to work with Mrs Donovan. I can only say I wish everyone worked to the same level of competence."
6. Tom Lucas, author of Pax Titanus: “I'd like to review a reviewer, if I may. Diane Donovan did a bang-up job with her review of my ribald space opera, Pax Titanus. Well-written, balanced, and fun. I have two books out thus far. I couldn't be more pleased. I need to hurry up and write another one for you."7. Natalia Zelder, publisher, Cow Eye Press, for Cow Country: “I just wanted to confirm my appreciation for Ms. Donovan's review. She did a professional job and we appreciate the consideration. It is not easy for a new publishing house to get meaningful reviews for our independent authors, so we are grateful for this opportunity and especially for her professionalism and care."
January 2015 Issue
1.Matthew Heines, author of My Year in Oman, et.al.: “Sharp, accurate and thorough- the only three words that describe Diane Donovan’s Reviews. Example: Ms. Donovan was the first person to see the complete American Experiences in Arabia During the War On Terror series after it was published. Immediately, she picked up on the fact that My Year in Oman has all of the background information on Arabia, the culture and the geography, so that it is not necessary to keep re-iterating that information in the other two books.
Ms. Donovan also pointed out that she enjoyed reading my books and that she couldn’t wait to start the next book once she finished one. In all of the years of gathering information and writing, I hoped and prayed that someone, somewhere would have that same reaction. I am so thankful that my books ended up with Diane Donovan. One caveat- If you don’t think your books are first rate, do not send them to Ms. Donovan! She is only going to tell you what she thinks of your book. If you have any doubt, try someone else.
2. Karen Burns, author of Rules for the Perpetual Diet: “Just a note to say how much I enjoyed working with Diane Donovan, who recently reviewed my newest book, Rules for the Perpetual Diet. Diane was a delight to do business with. She was prompt, responsive, cheerful, and thorough. She answered every question, and even anticipated questions.”
December 2014 Issue
1.Ron Ames, author of METAL HORSES: “I am an amatuer in the literary world, but I can tell you that with the 2 books that I have managed to publish, I have dealt with four different reviewers and you are by far the most efficient and professional. The review you composed for my book is the most in-depth I have ever received.”
author of AURORA
AFFAIR: “My novel
was assigned to Diane
Donovan, and she gave me my money's worth -- and then some.
As a writer, editor, and reviewer, I've been involved in many conversations about the value and ethics of buying a book review. The topic is pretty darn hot among these communities, and I've received my share of vitriol for supporting the position that reviewers are entitled to payment for their time and expertise if they want it, and that the majority have integrity and courtesy, and give honest reviews.
This is an awkward position, since I review gratis for a major journal, and for a year reviewed for pay for with another major review publication. Thus, I thought long and hard before ponying up for a review of my own work.
Ultimately, the difficulty in obtaining reviews through the freebie network moved me to take my chances. I chose MBR because (1) I consider it one of the top review sources and wanted that quality applied to my book; (2) the print version of my title didn't get selected when I submitted it to MBR, so I wanted another chance when I released the e-version; and (3) the cost is better than competitive -- it's the lowest that I've found, by a significant margin. Like so many writers (and self-employed editors) I operate on a tight budget.
Diane justified my expectations by returning a thorough review that came out positive without sounding like a pay-for-praise deal. She kept her tone neutral and personality in the background, talking just about the book and its notable features. What surprised me was being offered a chance to see the draft and respond to it prior to release.
As for dollar value, Kirkus charges over $400 for a template-style review of 300-350 words; PW (last I looked, a few years ago) charges $125 for a blurb that might not get posted or published anywhere; and of the others I looked into, the lowest price was $70 for a Kirkus-type package. Yet through MBR I got over 800 freestyle words that not only highlighted the novel's qualities, but also showed that the reviewer had indeed read the book, looked at the supporting materials about it available online, and done her best to emphasize what makes it different from other novels.
I learned about your service from one of my indie-author clients, who was similarly satisfied with his experience. So I think you've got a winner here!
3. Irene Woodbury, author of A DEAD END IN VEGAS: “Diane Donovan …did a wonderful job with the review--and with the posting of it on multiple sites. I was impressed with how well written the review was, and how thorough, pleasant, and professional she was. As you know, book promotion is a hectic process these days, so I really appreciate the chance to work with someone like Diane.”
4. Sean DeLauder, author of THE LEAST ENVIED: “Diane has completed a timely and articulate review of my book, The Least Envied. It’s clear to me that she read the entire story and put some thought into her reaction to it. I’d like to believe this is due to the quality of my story, but this is the second time Diane has come through for me in this manner, so I’m willing to believe that her reviewing ability also plays a large part.”
5. Martin Hill, author of EDEN: “Diane Donovan’s review of my book Eden: A Sci-Fi Novella was exceptional.”
November 2014 Issue
1. R.C. Binstock, Author of SWIFT RIVER: "
2. Antonio Simon Jr., Publisher, Darkwater Syndicate: "I'm writing to let you know what a fantastic experience it was working with Diane. She is indeed a distinguished professional - it shows in both the quality of her work and her exceptional client relations. Her review was thorough, balanced, in-depth, and delivered promptly."
3. Vivian Hwang, Author, CHASERS and DAYS OF AMBER: "Diane Donovan did the review on my 2 ebooks, Chasers, and Days of Amber, and they were lovely. This is a great service for independent authors such as myself, and I hope that you will continue promoting it. "
4. Leza Lowitz and Shogo Oketani, Authors, JET BLACK AND THE NINJA WIND: "We just wanted to take the time to thank Diane Donovan for her insightful and intelligent review of our Young Adult novel, Jet Black and the Ninja Wind. Of course, we were thrilled that she liked our effort, but beyond that, the best kind of review is one in which even the author learns something new about their own book. Ms. Donovan is that kind of a reader and writer, and we just wanted to take the time to let you know how grateful we are that she was able to review our book."
2. M.J. Winn, author of DEAD SOUL MARY: "Thank you very much for the excellent review of my novel, Dead Soul Mary. I am very impressed by how well written and insightful the review is. You obviously put a lot of time and thought into reading and writing, and I am very grateful. And you realized the many things I was trying to do within my novel. I can't wait to use your wonderful review as part of my novel's future promotions!"
3. R.C. Durkee, author of RUM RUN: "Ms. Donovan is very professional while coming across as a warm, accessible reviewer. She informs you when she receives your book, and gives you a date that she will complete the review. She does not leave you "in the dark" like most reviewers. She is very prompt and in fact, I received the review earlier than the date she promised. I never had to wait long for an e-mail response as her e-mail responses were same day. Of all my reviewers, she has been the most prompt and efficient and accessible. It was a pleasure to do business with her, and I hope to do so again in the future."
4. Warren Albrecht, author of NEITHER CHILDREN NOR GODS: "You have grasped the essence of what I am trying to do with my novel. I could not be more pleased with your viewpoint. It is gratifying to have a professional carefully read and then actually like the story."
5. Melissa Mahle, author of UNCOVERED IN ISTANBUL: "I wanted to provide feedback on my interaction with Diane Donovan, who reviewed my children’s book, Uncovered in Istanbul. The publishing industry has become a rather unfriendly world, with publishers, editors, agents and reviewers under time pressure, tight budgets and have almost zero room to take risks. It is wearing to hear in so many conversations or see in email exchanges excuses as to why something didn’t get done or could not get done because of lack of time or lack of demand. My experience with Ms Donovan was exactly the opposite.
Ms. Donovan was positive in her communications, exact in doing what she said she would do when she said she would do it. Very professional and refreshing. The review she wrote was well written, but more importantly, interesting. I am so pleased MBR selected Ms. Donovan as the reviewer."
6. Rebekah, Publisher of THE BLOOD LINE: "Wanted to send you a quick note and let you know how pleased we are with Diane Donovan's review of our author's new novel Blood Line (John J. Davis). Diane's review is insightful, informative and her analysis of the underlying psychology of the book is spot on. She was actually the first reviewer to truly understand the character dynamics. Our author appreciated her opinion as did we."
7. Mayo Morley, Escargot Books, Publisher of
8. Becca Hardy, author of Severxance Living Legacy Saga, Book 1: "I was very happy with the professionalism and attention to detail Diane Donovan gave my book. Not only did she provide an accurate review, but I really feel she has an excellent grasp of the science fiction genre as a whole."
9. Elena Maria Vidal, author of The Paradise Tree: "I just want to express my appreciation of Diane Donovan's review of my novel The Paradise Tree. She reviewed it in a timely fashion even though she was one of the last reviewers to receive a review copy. I am very impressed with the quality of her work."
September 2014 Issue
1. Betta Ferrendelli, author of REVENGE IS SWEET: "All I can say is wow! I think I told you this last time when you read and reviewed The Friday Edition, you are the first true reviewer who really gets it. That is exactly what Revenge is Sweet is about, there are many levels to the book and I think you touched on every one."
2. Joseph Hirsch, author of KENTUCKY BESTIARY: "I just wanted to thank you for the timely and professional manner in which my book was reviewed. I have passed on word of this good experience to my fellow authors at Paragraph Line Books, and I hope they will also avail themselves of your services."
3. Stanley A. Riggs, MD, author of BUILD WEALTH & SPEND IT: "Diane Donovan completed her thorough and informative review of my book Build Wealth & Spend It All in a timely fashion. It is clear she took the time to completely read the book (some reviewers do not). Readers will appreciate her and her in-depth analysis and intuitive review style."
4. Javier Perez, Page-Turner Publicity for JOSH'S WALL: "Just want to let you know what a pleasure it is to work w/ Diane Donovan. She recently reviewed one of my client’s books, JOSH’S WALL, by Cliff Ashpaugh. The author was thrilled with her review! I’ve worked with Diane before and look forward to sending her other titles written by my clients."
5. Joanne Sundell, author of ARCTIC STORM: "Please allow me to thank MBR and reviewer, Diane Donovan, for her "spot-on" review of my YA crossover, ARCTIC STORM, from Five Star, Gale/Cengage Learning. My editors were happy, too; so much so a copy of Diane's review went out to all in the company. Diane's insight into my story and her analytical expertise ... blew me away."
6. Diane Ketterman, author of A CHILD OF ROYALTY: "I am very satisfied and pleased with the work Diane Donovan did for me in reviewing my book, "A Child of Royalty". I sent out an email to some friends and her review clarified for them an outsider view of my story. The feedback was great! I will keep Diane in mind for future writings and friends who have submissions as well. She did a wonderful job!"
7. Scott Pinsker, author of THE SECOND COMING: A LOVE STORY: "I wanted to express my sincere appreciation for the professionalism & personal care of Ms. Diane Donovan, who recently reviewed my debut novel, The Second Coming: A Love Story. Since my June 6 release, I’ve been fortunate enough to receive 20 reviews on Amazon (4.9 overall stars), plus some very kind accolades from various bloggers & reviewers. Of all the folks who took the time to critique my novel, Ms. Donovan stands-out. She truly took the time to read, review & consider the consequences. As an author, you simply couldn’t ask for more than that."
8. Nanci Rathbun, author of CASH KILLS: "I'm dropping you this note to tell you about my positive experience with Diane Donovan and her review of my mystery novel, Cash Kills. Diane was extremely prompt in getting information to me for the review to proceed. She kept me informed along the way and was both easy and professional to work with. I really appreciated her sharing information about the review process for my future reference. I'll be using her review in publicity releases."
9. Martin Halliday, author of MYSTERY AND MISADVENTURE: "I have used the services of Diane Donovan three times now. The last two times for two books that are part of a series: Mystery and Misadventure; Mystery and Misadventure – An Old Acquaintance. Whilst I have yet to see the review for the latest book (not due until your October release) I can say that her views on the first accord with with everyone who has read it so far, save that she has demonstrated an ability to put into words what a number of them could not. She has managed, in her review, to capture the essence of the stories (they are anthologies ... think of Roald Dahl. J.G. Ballard and the Twilight Zone). As a reader I would feel that she had summed up the book perfectly. In passing, I would add that she has remained highly professional throughout the process. I am very impressed."
10. Joseph Hirsch, author of KENTUCKY BESTIARY: "I think your previous review helped me secure retail deals for my prior novel, Kentucky Bestiary."
1. Nikos Vlachos, author of THE BED: "I've had many reviewers of my book but yours really captures the essence of what I'm trying to do, i.e make, "a play" a more unique and intimate experience for the reader than they might have if the story were written as a novel. ..after reading your fine review several times, I realized that you were giving me the extreme complement of doing just that--creating a work, in a play format that is quick and easy to read, that flows through an entire lifetime almost effortlessly, and takes the reader to live theater, which is the most intimate of the performing arts followed by movies, TV and radio. Good reviews do that. They get better each time you read them."
2. Yolanda A. Reid, author of THE HONEYEATER: "Diane Donovan, was thorough and insightful, concise and so prompt! Moreover, the review distills the essence of THE HONEYEATER without over-revealing."
3. Clyde Hedges, author of The Boys of Chattanooga and Evergreen: "Diane Donovan recently did two reviews for me, "The Boys of Chattanooga," and "Evergreen." I really liked her reviews. I'm going to use both to great advantage in marketing my books. She gave thoughtful, incisive comments, wrote them well, and even pointed out a few things that I hadn't realized about the books. Diane did an excellent job for me."
4. Foley Western, author of THE GAME PLAN: "Diane Donovan is very thorough and on time and I am very pleased with her service."
5. Dustin D. Romney, author of RULE OF LAW: "I was very pleased with a book review I received from Diane Donovan. She very accurately and fairly captured the tone and thesis of my book and was very accommodating and helpful throughout the process. "
6. John A Brennan, author of DON'T DIE WITH REGRETS: "Ms. Diane Donovan recently reviewed my new book titled, "Don't Die With Regrets." She gave it a serious and very helpful assessment. Very professional, Ms. Donovan's review encompassed all that I desired to impart to the reader."
7. Michelle Kamhi, author of WHO SAYS THAT'S ART?: "Just a word to say how grateful I am to Diane Donovan for her appreciative review of Who Says That's Art?. I especially valued the opportunity to offer suggestions for clarifying certain points to ensure that the review accurately represented the book's thesis. Diane was graciously responsive to all my suggestions, and it was a pleasure to work with her."
8. Larry O'Brien, author of WHY NOT WOMEN PRIESTS?: ".Your review of Why NOT Women Priests? is remarkable--nothing short of a keen display of professional excellence. The review highlights the most significant messages I wanted to convey, and my appreciation of that skill is without limit."
9. Patrice Hamilton, author of MAKE ME: "I just wanted to send a quick note expressing my appreciation for the review of my ebook, Make Me, created by Diane Donovan. I was impressed by her insights and her writing style. She was also a pleasure to work with."
10. Alix Nichols, author of WHAT IF IT'S LOVE?: "I just wanted to let you know how happy I am with the Diane Donovan's review of my book "What If It's Love?". It's thoughtful, detailed and relevant. It gives sufficient information about the book, but avoids spoilers. Diane is a great reviewer."
11. Claire Pickering, For and on behalf of Richmond Pickering Ltd, publishers of MY GUIDE titles: "...we have been extremely happy with the serviceDiane Donovan has given us. Her reviews are professional and in-depth. She has an excellent eye for detail and we would highly recommend her services."
1. Max Timm, author of WISHKEEPER: "I received a very well written, nicely structured, and all around thoroughly positive review from Diane. My book's title is The WishKeeper (YA age range) and I'm delighted with not only how all received the book was by Diane, but how well written the review was as well. "
2. Christine Rivas, publicist for LAURA'S JOURNEY TO THE STARS: "...working with Diane has been an absolute pleasure! She was very responsive and has been easy to work with throughout the entire process of the book review. I look forward to working with her again!"
1. Valerie Clay, author of THE 7TH TAROT CARD: "In reviewing my book, The 7th Tarot Card, Diane Donovan was efficient, timely, and very professional. As a debut novelist, I was a little worried about the outcome, and didn’t know what to expect, but her friendly correspondence and wonderful review turned my fear of a difficult process into a pleasant experience. "
2. W. Stone, author of CONFESSIONS OF A SELF-HELP WRITER: "Thank you so much for your great review! I wanted to let you know its the lead review in our press kits! The writing was crisp and wonderful and great for potential readers. Drew Carey, johnny depp, and a few other famous people asked to see the book after reading it. I wish I would've had you write the jacket copy."
3. Philippa Rees, author of INVOLUTION: "This has not been an easy work for which to find reviews, simply because of is breadth; poetic science through the history of Western thought, which does not easily identify specialists across so many fields. Scientists do not read poetry and poets are rarely scientists! Her grasp of the book's essence and the speed with which she worked was extraordinary. I have referred many who know the book to her review, and they too have been impressed. She managed to make clear the difficulties the cross genre work would face, which I hope will register with those likely to be suspicious of it."
4. Leylah Attar, author of 53 LETTERS FOR MY LOVER: "I found Diane to be efficient, professional and courteous. She communicated with me every step of the way, and provided an accurate timeline so I knew exactly what to expect, and when. I received the links for my review on time, and was satisfied with her insightful and fair review. I felt she had taken the time to read my novel, and that she understood the major themes, characters and plot line."
5. Lorrie Farrelly, author of TERMS OF SURRENDER: "I appreciate the reviews Diane Donovan has done, and is continuing to do, of my novels. Her reviews are thorough, professional, well-written, and perceptive. She is a careful reader and an insightful writer. Many people have told me they respect her opinion, and that it was instrumental in their choosing to buy and read my books. I’m very pleased and honored to have my novels featured in Diane’s reviews."
6. William Andrews, author of DAUGHTERS OF THE DRAGON: "I'm very pleased with the review done on my book, DAUGHTERS OF THE DRAGON by Diane Donovan. I feel she was very objective and insightful and I"m thrilled she gave it a positive review. I've posted the review on my website, FB page and Twitter and I noticed sales have ratcheted up."
7. Dale Bridges, author of JUSTICE, INC.: "My name is Dale Bridges, and my book, Justice, Inc., was reviewed recently by Diane Donovan. I just wanted to say that I am very pleased with her review. I thought it was insightful and well-written."
8. Jay Klages, author of MEASURE OF DANGER: "I appreciated the care Diane put into the review of Measure of Danger. She discussed some aspects and subtleties of the novel I thought have gone unnoticed by regular thriller readers. While I wouldn't classify the novel as full-blown literary fiction, there are a lot of extras in there to discover, and she certainly had a very keen sense of those themes and details. I'm sure that all authors will respect and appreciate this thorough of a review, regardless of the review outcome."
9. Gloria Kury, Periscope Publishing Ltd. for THE RENAISSANCE: "Diane Donovan wrote an astute (and lively) review of our book, The Renaissance Revised Expanded Unexpurgated
for your June issue. We are impressed with her ability to assess a long, ambitious book and the way she conveys a zest for reading."
10. Rainer Kohrs, Marketing Director, Stonehorse Publishing for TOBY: "Working with Diane Donovan has been a great experience for us. Her review is well-written and succinct, with a few good short quotes we've already made use of at BEA. She is a keeper!"
11. Leigh Goodison, author of WILD ONES: "I just wanted to let you know how pleased I was with the review I received from Diane Donovan for my YA novel, Wild Ones. It was immediately apparent that Ms. Donovan had not only read the book very carefully, she also understood the characters, plot and theme. So many 'reviewers' just rehash the text on the cover copy and call it a review. Having a review from the Midwest Book Review provided me with a valuable marketing tool, and is a great service to the writing community. I would not hesitate to use and recommend the MBR, as well as Ms. Donovan's, services in the future."
1. John Lindberg, author of THE BALL CROSSING: "I worked with Diane Donovan and she was very responsive and met all expectations with regard to schedule and effort to thoroughly read my book. Her review was thoughtful and well written."
2. Nelly Cotto, author of HER TURNING POINT: HER DIVINE, GLORIOUS, HAPPY DIVORCE!: "I've had the most wonderful experience and feel motivated to keep going with the professional review process. She was able to fully capture the essence of my story, and then retell it with a wholesome perspective. I loved it!!! Obviously she's very experienced."
3. Thomas Morison, author of THE UNORTHODOX OX: "the recent review by Diane Donovan of the book The Unorthodox Ox by Thomas Morison was an especially fine review. Certainly it is a tricky business to pull in elements from a long tale and relate in a few words what the possible point of the story is after--then reflect on what the story of the book is driving at. So Ms. Donovan's review absolutely got to the nub of what this book is about. Her review made a case for why the book, why its story as related, would be of interest to its specific target audience. "
4. Roger Carrier, author of FINDING SARGADO: "I wanted you to know how pleased I am with Diane Donovan's work on my novel. Her writing of the review of "Finding Sagrado" was artful and her
insights very helpful to those looking for more than a three-line review. If I were coming at the novel cold, I would definitely be intrigued and want to at least try the first few chapters."
5. Kelly Ward, author of THE NOTE HUNTER: CASE OF THE HAUNTED SWAMP: " .We were assigned Diane Donovan as our reviewer, and we couldn’t have had a happier experience. Diane has been very instructive and helpful to us on this, our initial foray into the world of self-publishing. It didn't hurt that she gave us a wonderful, quotable review that will help us make forthcoming books in our series sharper and more entertaining. ..We are over the moon!
6. Samuel Finlay, author of BREAKFAST WITH THE DIRT CULT: "Ms. Donovan... not only read and reviewed my book far sooner than I had expected, but offered an opinion that clearly considered the words and what I was trying to convey with them. All the while, she remained in contact and promptly responded to anything I sent. "
1. Luis Gonzalez, author of LUZ: "I am so pleased with the review I received from your reviewer, Diane Donovan. Ms. Donovan did such a great job of capturing the main ideas and themes of my book, and I was especially delighted that she quoted twice from my work. There is no better feeling for a writer than to know his words have had an impact of some sort on a reader, but what is also nice is the surprise to the writer of which words those are, and her use of quotes from my text really validated my writing and gave me a great boost of confidence about it. I have received several reviews thus far, even from Kirkus, and hers is far superior to the Kirkus review, which in my opinion was cursory and formulaic, given that they know it's just an indie work, and completely rushed just to fit in within the framework of their word count. "
2. Mike Stewart, author of THE TERMINALS #1: SPARK: "I'm so glad Diane enjoyed the book and I was very pleased by the depth of her review. It not only provides some great quotes to excerpt from a marketing perspective, but also gives readers the ammunition to decide if it's a book for them. Well balanced!"
3. Kenneth G. Eade, author of AN INVOLUNTARY SPY: " I am dropping this note to express to you how extremely pleased I am at the speed, the depth of understanding, and the skill with which Ms. Diane Donovan conducted the review of my first novel, "An Involuntary Spy." I will highly recommend her and Midwest Book Review to my fellow authors."
4. Ken Kirkeby, author of RED STICK ONE: "I just wanted to let you know how pleased I am with Diane Donovan's review of my new novel Red Stick One. Of all the reviews I received I can say that Diane was the most professional and paid the most attention to detail in putting it together. She was an absolute pleasure to work with and picked out the essential thrust of the novel better than anyone."
5. Anna Castle, author of MURDER BY MISRULE: "I especially want to commend my reviewer, Diane Donovan. Unlike many in this business, she was always courteous and helpful, keeping me informed with the status of my review. This is important for self-published authors and small press editors alike, since we wear many hats and have many balls in the air (while riding unicycles, of course.) Naturally, I'm gratified that she liked my book. It means a lot."
6. Grace Mattioli, author of DISCOVERY OF AN EAGLE: "I was very pleased with Diane Donovan's service in reviewing my novel, Discovery of an Eagle. Her review was extremely thoughtful and well-written and she was very prompt and thorough in her communications with me. In fact, I will be mentioning her in the Acknowledgement section of my book."
7. Ed Gomez, author of GATEWAY TO INTIMACY: "Diane Donovan has recently completed the review of my book, Gateway to Intimacy and I have to say that she not only did a great job with the review by communicating her observations well, but I can see that she actually read it!!
By the detail she introduces, I can see she actually read and not skimmed over it, which seems to be the case from the way some of the reviews I've received, have read. The other thing I've noticed is that she took the time to find out what I was trying to say and did not simply assume or react to what she read. She took a deeper look at it to find out what it had to say. I'm very impressed with the care and detail she brings to her work.
1. Lorrie Farrelly, author of TIMELAPSE: "I want to let you know how pleased I was with the care and professionalism shown by Diane Donovan in her review of my novel TIMELAPSE ...Diane’s insight, high-quality writing skills, and timely responses are very much appreciated, and I was proud to share her comments with readers."
2. Barbara Ebel, author of SILENT FEAR: "My latest book was a medical mystery, Silent Fear, and it was reviewed by Diane Donovan as an Ebook. She gave a thorough review, it was fair and balanced, and more importantly, she understood the meat of the story and my main character. As you may know, reviewers sometimes just don't 'get it' - perhaps they 'skim' the book. But Diane was insightful and did the review in a timely fashion."
3. Michael McCann, author of THE FREGOLI DECISION: "I'm very pleased with Diane Donovan's recent review of my novel The Fregoli Delusion. It's obvious from her review that she read the book with care and attention to detail, which is always appreciated by every novelist. Her descriptions of plot, theme and character are accurate, and I'm grateful for her kind appraisal of the book. I'd welcome her reviews of future publications of mine without hesitation."
4. M. Dolon Hickman, author of 13:24: "My novel deals with child abuse and the complex religious, psychological, political, and personal impacts that it had on individuals and society. Ms. Donovan really surprised me with her ability to pull out many of these threads and highlight them for potential readers. I redid my back cover text to include a snip from her review at the very top, and am using the same snip on the top of all of my internet marketing and retail descriptions."
5. Andrew H. Armacost, author of THE POOR MAN'S GUIDE TO SUICIDE: "
Ms. Donovan was both honest and thorough in her review. Not only was it clear that she gave the text a close reading, it was equally clear that she 'got it,' and she provided insight, not merely a summary or some kitschy blurb. As for follow-on actions, she provided an advanced copy of the DRAFT review along with a brief period during which I was free to ask questions or raise concerns, though I had neither. Additionally, she communicated when the review would be available, how to access it and, when she left the area for a vacation, I was given an advanced notice followed by a link to the review upon her return. At any rate, in any service industry, and especially one whereby so many emotions (and ok, egos) are involved...I wanted to share with you what a positive experience I had."
1. Chris and J. Bean Palmer, author of ELSBETH AND THE CALL OF THE CASTLE GHOSTIES: "Diane was prompt, accurate, reliable and a pleasure in all our communications. Far more important, she recognized and called to the fore what was most important to us and what we most wanted others to know about our book."
2. Harrison Lebowitz, Esq., co-author of CONNECTED TO GOODNESS: "Diane recently reviewed Connected To Goodness, a book I co-authored with David Meltzer. I just needed to tell you what a fantastic job Diane did. She was a true professional to deal with - prompt, informative, responsive, and insightful. All I can say is what a great experience."
3. Jeff Hennelly, author of THE POWER: "just wanted to drop you a line to let you know what an excellent job Diane Donovan did in reviewing my book. Diane was prompt, professional, and fantastic to work with. I’ve had several people review my book, but Diane’s review was hands down the best. I could tell that she was engaged in reading of the book, based on the breadth and depth of her review. She really took her time and put forth a quality effort!I’d recommend Diane to anyone and hope to work with her again soon."
4. Lewis Lambert, author of JUSTICE SERVED: "I want to let you know that I am enjoying working with Diane. She is fast, thorough and is a pleasure to work with. I will recommend her to anyone who wants a professional book review. If my books are successful, I will give all the credit to her."
5. R.C. O'Leary, author of HALLWAYS IN THE NIGHT: " just wanted to drop you a quick note extolling the professionalism and responsiveness of Diane Donovan. She was extremely thorough in her review and her responsiveness was excellent. I had a couple of questions in the process and she answered them quickly and clearly."
6. Linda Yoshida, author of BURIED THREADS: "I just wanted to send you a quick note of appreciation for Diane Donovan's excellent review of Buried Threads. There's nothing better or more rewarding for an author than finding out a reviewer "gets" your story and thoroughly enjoys it. "
7. Kim Cano, author of ON THE INSIDE: "I just wanted to say I'm very pleased with both book reviews I've received from Diane Donovan. Sure it's nice to get customer reviews, but they often aren't as thorough as Ms. Donovan's. Using portions of her reviews on both my book's editorial areas has landed me some decent ads with leading companies like Book Bub, and that has led to increased sales."
8. Ken Derby, author of HARLEY P. DAVIDSUN'S LOONY BIN: "I just wanted to let you know that it was a pleasure having Diane Donovan review my book entitled Harley P. Davidsun's Loony Bin. She was prompt and professional, and thorough with her review."
9. Max & William Shoaff, Publisher, Ascent Releasing Entertainment for The Yellow Wallpaper: "We wanted to thank you for Diane Donovan. Her professionalism, speed, and diligence was excellent, as well as her work. She was a great reviewer and we would highly recommend her, as well as Midwest, because of her. She is a reviewer worth keeping."
10. Aric Cushing, Editor The Yellow Wallpaper: "I wanted to thank you for reviewing my book. Your review was so incredibly well written and thought out. The points you made were so succinct and wonderful, I just couldn't believe it. Bringing new ideas to old contexts (I feel) is one of the hardest things to do when so many readers have a 'certain' idea about what a writer/individual is all about (even when they usually have only read one or two pieces by the author). I don't know what else to say except that I am so happy... all that work! Researching and travelling to discover those lost pieces was such a labor of love. By no means was it for the money, that is for sure. It was something I felt I had to do to honor Gilman. I really wanted to shed light on the other aspects of her work.
When a reviewer 'gets' what you are trying to do, and not just 'gets it', the way you have, but REALLY UNDERSTANDS, it is an author's greatest triumph (and editor). Reading your article was one of those moments that I will remember for the rest of my life. And NOT just because it was a good review. "
1. Gary Lawrence Sheerin, author of DIJI: "I just wanted to take a moment to let you know how happy I am with the review I received from Diane Donovan. Her analysis of the book, on such a deep level; digging past the simple conclusions of a quick read, was extremely gratifying for me. I cannot thank you enough for your choice for her to critique 'digi'. Whether from her life experiences or readings, her understanding and rational of the plot makes her more then the typical thumbs up or down reviewer. Very rewarding to see her thoughts on my work - perfect!"
2. Mara Quigley, from Steve Allen Media Re: WHOLE HEALTH: "I wanted to thank you for connecting me with book reviewer Diane Donovan. She did a fabulous job reviewing Whole Health by Mark Mincolla- very prompt and professional."
3. Geraldine Evans, author of DEATH DUES: "I just wanted to write to express my delight in the review written by Ms Donovan. It was fair and balanced and I'm so pleased she enjoyed reading Death Dues...With so many trolls actively writing so-called 'reviews', it's good to have dealings with professionals."
4. Darby Karchut, author of GIDEON'S SPEAR: "I wanted to let you know what a thoroughly professional and well-crafted review Diane Donovan wrote for my latest middle grade book, Gideon’s Spear. Diane captured the essence of the book’s theme, while pointing out elements that would resonate with readers. I am eager to share her review with the fans of the series (as well as my editor and publisher). And you should know that Diane’s enthusiasm for books was very refreshing to this author who has been in the industry long enough to see “reviewer fatigue.” "
December 2013 Issue
1. Waima Williams, author of HELLO, MOZART: "Both Diane and Midwest Book Review cover an impressive range of books, and have a high quality of criticism. This is a pleasure to discover now that so many newspapers and professional reviewers have declined or disappeared. It’s also a relief to know that a group of dedicated reader/reviewers is still active, and able to judge fiction according to traditional standards,
meaning much more than the current “customer comments” style found on amazon. Diane and your staff are the real thing. All the best to Midwest Book Review and its efforts to support writing."
2. Michael McCord, author of THE EXECUTION CHANNEL, A POLITICAL FABLE:"
Wanted to let you know how much I appreciate the review of my e-book in Midwest Book Review. It was a joy working with Diane Donovan and I appreciated her thoughtful review -- more importantly, I appreciated how she 'got' the book (it's a very wicked political satire) and communicated that in the review. Her blurb went to the top of review comments on the home page for the book."
3. Eva Pohler, author of THE GATEKEEPER'S SONS: "I just want you to know how pleased I am with the review written by Diane Donovan of my novel, The Gatekeeper's Sons: Gatekeeper's Saga, Book One. Diane's review is well written, and it pinpoints key insights into my story with flare. I teach writing and literary analysis at a local university and am always thrilled to see it done well (especially after reading so many student papers). "
4. Liz Lewinson, author of RAMA GAZE IN MY DIRECTION: "thought Diane not only enjoyed but became engaged with the subject matter. Many book reviewers only read the opening pages and the closing pages and the result shows. I'm sure Diane read the book cover to cover. I really appreciate the quality of her work."
5. Johanna Harris, author of USE PROTECTION: AN EMPLOYEE'S GUIDE TO ADVANCEMENT IN THE WORKPLACE: "Diane was extremely prompt in her response. She made me aware of the time table at each step and sent me relevant drafts and links to the review. She was also helpful in making suggestions for using the review. She was supportive and encouraging. The review itself was thorough, accurate and helpful, and I immediately posted it in the places Diane suggested. I am writing to you to let you know that I will recommend Diane to other authors who are trying to publicize their books."
6. Claudette Marco, author of SATCHEL & SWORD I: THE SEARCH FOR THE SALUKA STONE: "My name is Claudette Marco and I wrote Satchel & Sword I: The Search for the Saluka Stone. When my editor suggested Midwest Book Reviews to write a review for my book, I must admit, I was hesitant. You must understand why. I had been through years of rejections through the query process until one literary agent expressed interest. He read my manuscript and had nothing positive to say about it, criticizing it to the point of absurdity. That experience led me to self-publishing. I cut ties with that agent, but the effects yet lingered deep inside of me. But, I proceeded with gaining an MBR review, because I knew it was a reputable reviewing company. I felt... worried, to say the least. I arrived home one night and found Diane's review finished. As I read it I began crying. It was so detailed, so eloquent, and so positive. It gave me the confidence to know that people might actually like my book! I posted her review on my website and a link to the MBR page where it is posted as well. Sometimes words go beyond the air in which they are spoken or the paper onto which they are written. Thank you so much for your help and your time, Mr. Cox!"
7. Erin Emerson, author of WHAT WOULD OPRAH DO?: "I just wanted to send you a quick note to let you know how please I was with Diane's review. Her turn-around time was impressive and the review made it clear that she fully understood the tone of the book and all of its nuances. I really appreciated Diane's work."
8. Michael J. McCann, author of THE RAINY DAY KILLER: "I'm sending you this quick note to let you know how pleased my publicist, Lynn Clark, and I am with the recent review by your reviewer, Diane Donovan, of my novel The Rainy Day Killer. We found the entire process extremely easy to coordinate, we found Diane easy to work with and very helpful, and I was extremely pleased with her review of my book. It was obvious she'd not only read the book carefully, which many reviewers obviously do not, but had also researched the rest of the series and was familiar with my work overall."